Vacancy Research and Publications AssociateThe Research and Publications Associate, under the supervision of the Research and Publications Manager and Scientific Director, will be responsible in coordinating the editorial process and in supporting the activities of the newest project of Oscar M. Lopez Center - an open-access Climate, Disaster, and Development Journal (CDDJ).
- Edit and proof read articles thoroughly to ensure quality of work
- Prepare artwork and layout the journal issue before publication
- Implement the rules and policies of the journal and monitor the efficiency of its systems, suggest revision/s in the editorial rules and policies as appropriate
- Plan the journal issues and content, keeping in mind the requirements and style
- Assist in sourcing other authors for future issues, and packaging promotional materials
- Receive and prepare manuscripts for review, summarize reviews for the authors, and track progress with respect to target deadlines and guidelines
- Maintain contact with authors, reviewers and Editorial Team and send out reminders as needed
- Contribute to the ongoing expansion of the reviewer database and update the journal database and website
- Plan and make arrangements towards the goal of becoming an International Scientific Indexing (ISI) Journal
- Support the implementation of the CDDJ Operational Plan 2016-2020
- Carry out research tasks for technical papers, case studies, and requirements depending on Center’s needs
- Support the organization and delivery of OML Center-led events including trainings, workshops, dialogues, conferences; and perform all other project-related duties that may be assigned from time to time
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Communication or any other relevant field. Exposure in a similar profile with a responsible experience in journalism, editing or research will prove to be beneficial.
- About two years work experience in publication, academic or research firm with basic knowledge and understanding of climate science, disasters risk reduction and management, and sustainable development
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with good command over the language
- Very competent in using MS Office applications, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and other desktop publishing software
- Excellent interpersonal/human, time management, planning, research and organizational skills
- Ability to attend to details, maintain confidentiality, and work independently (with minimum supervision)
- Comfortable working under pressure and to work simultaneously on numerous tasks and meet deadlines
The period of employment is initially for a 3-month consultancy period. Renewal or extension and possible regularization will be offered after three months depending on performance and program/project status.
with the subject line “Application: RPA_[your last name]. Deadline for accepting application is on 24 January 2016. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews. If you have queries, kindly send an email to the address above or contact us at 982-2276 or 755-2332 loc 2276.