Pasta is like your good-natured friend who gets along well with practically everyone. It’s an easy dish to jazz up—just add the sauce of your choice and you’re all set!
Bacon Tomato Sauce
Ingredients: 8 slices regular bacon, chopped; 1 onion, finely chopped; 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced; 1 28 oz (796 ml) can of crushed tomatoes (or puree a can of whole tomatoes); 1 tbsp fresh thyme, rosemary or oregano (or 1 tsp of dried); and sprinkle of salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Place the chopped bacon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add a bit of water. Cook, stirring, until the water evaporates and the bacon begins to brown. Continue stirring, lowering the heat to medium, until the bacon is lightly crispy and browned.
2. Drain away most of the bacon fat, leaving behind enough to sauté the vegetables (leave bacon in pan).
3. Add the onion and garlic and cook until they soften and begin to brown. Pour in the tomatoes. Sprinkle in the herb of your choice and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or so.
Quick Southern Italian Tomato Sauce
Ingredients: 3 c canned peeled tomatoes in their liquid; 4 large garlic cloves, lightly crushed; 1/4 c plus 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil; 1/2 tsp salt; freshly ground pepper; and 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil or fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Drain the tomatoes in a strainer set over a medium bowl. Scoop out and discard any seeds from the tomatoes. Using your hands, a fork or a potato masher, crush the tomatoes well and place in a separate bowl; reserve their liquid for another use.
2. In a medium nonreactive saucepan, cook the garlic in the olive oil over moderate heat until golden. Add the tomatoes and salt; season with pepper. Stir in the basil and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Discard the garlic. To make a smooth sauce, leave the garlic cloves in and pass the sauce through a food mill. 3. To make ahead, omit the basil, cover the sauce tightly and refrigerate for up to five days or freeze for up to three months. Before serving, stir in the basil and reheat gently.
Ingredients: 2 tbsp olive oil; 1 onion, chopped; 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped; 1 large eggplant (about 500 g), cut into 2-cm cubes; 2 400 g cans chopped tomatoes; 2 tsp caster sugar; 1/2 c (60 g) pitted green olives; 1/3 c (65 g) drained capers; and 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and gently cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until light golden. Increase heat to high, add eggplant and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until golden, then add tomatoes, sugar and a little salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer over low heat for 15 minutes or until the eggplant is cooked and sauce thickens. Stir in the olives, capers and parsley.
White Wine, Mushroom and Cream Sauce
Ingredients: 1 tray sliced mushrooms; 2 garlic cloves, minced; 2 tbsp butter; 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil; 1/4 c white wine; 1/2 c cream; and salt and pepper to taste
1. In a skillet over medium heat, sauté sliced mushrooms with 2 small minced garlic cloves in 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
2. Add 1/4 cup white wine and cook until just evaporated. Stir in 1/2 cup cream and heat gently until thick. Season with salt and pepper. (Recipes and photos from www.foodandwine.com; www.fortysomething.ca; www.taste.com.au)
Published on Thursday, 20 August 2020 | Hits:610
Kapamilya love reached more Filipinos as ABS-CBN Foundation Inc.’s (AFI) “Pantawid ng Pag-ibig: Isang Daan, Isang Pamilya” campaign distributed food packs and ligtas bags outside Metro Manila for those greatly
Published on Thursday, 18 June 2020 | Hits:604
Local government units (LGUs) found it challenging to quickly provide relief to families affected by the quarantine. That is why several mayors in Metro Manila and nearby provinces have expressed
Published on Thursday, 18 June 2020 | Hits:571
As Filipino families continue to struggle with the loss of jobs, ABS-CBN Foundation Inc. (AFI) moves to the second phase of the “Pantawid ng Pagibig” campaign with the aim of
Published on Tuesday, 19 May 2020 | Hits:658
The “Pantawid ng Pag-ibig” campaign of ABS-CBN and ABS-CBN Foundation Inc. (AFI) has raised P350 million in cash donations and pledges for the benefit of over 600,000 families in Metro
Published on Thursday, 06 February 2020 | Hits:598
NO evacuee will be left behind. This is the promise of ABSCBN as it launches the “Tulong-Tulong sa Taal” campaign, which aims to unite the nation in helping Filipinos affected
Published on Friday, 23 June 2017 | Hits:4251
ABS-CBN Foundation Europe CIO joins public and private support for the victims of the massive fire that hit the 24-storey residential London Grenfell Tower in West London on June 14
Published on Friday, 17 February 2017 | Hits:4526
A state of calamity has been declared by the Mayor of Surigao City. Relief and rescue operations are underway for the barangays that have been affected.
Published on Tuesday, 19 May 2020 | Hits:1272
The Rural Workers Association of San Rafael (RWASR) based in Bulusan, Sorsogon, which runs Nasipit Eco-Agri Farm, has a simple message for their fellow Filipinos: “There is no problem we
Published on Thursday, 16 April 2020 | Hits:1180
ABS-CBN helps arm Filipinos with relevant information to stop the spread of disease through its “Ligtas Pilipinas sa COVID-19” campaign on radio, TV and online.
Published on Thursday, 16 April 2020 | Hits:1327
HELP came through for health workers in East Avenue Medical Center after ABS-CBN delivered masks and other protective gear and snacks to show support and Kapamilya love to those leading
Published on Monday, 09 March 2020 | Hits:970
“Maraming, maraming salamat po sa award na ipinagkaloob ninyo sa amin. Alay namin ito sa kapatid kong si Gina Lopez,” said “G Diaries” host and Bantay Bata 163 executive director
Published on Monday, 09 March 2020 | Hits:1040
She could hardly contain her joy and excitement when she saw her son walking towards her. She welcomed him with tight hugs and happy tears as a loving mother would
Published on Monday, 09 March 2020 | Hits:796
ABS-CBN Lingkod Kapamilya Foundation Inc. (ALKFI) renamed its building Gina Lopez Building in honor of its late chairperson and founder of ALKFI programs Bantay Bata 163 and Bantay Kalikasan.
Published on Thursday, 06 February 2020 | Hits:1010
ACCORDING to UNICEF, 95 children in the Philippines die every day because of malnutrition. This is one of the reasons Alaska Milk Corporation supports the advocacy of ABS-CBN Lingkod Kapamilya
Published on Monday, 16 December 2019 | Hits:1517
IN 2015, Unicef and the Council for the Welfare of Children conducted the National Baseline Study on Violence Against Children in the Philippines, which indicated that eight out of 10
Published on Friday, 05 January 2018 | Hits:1522
For the Love of Children For the Love of Children These children live everyday making ends meet without losing hope that a better future awaits them. Together, let’s keep their hopes alive
Published on Wednesday, 20 December 2017 | Hits:1817
New World Hotels and Resorts gears up for another exciting edition of Run & Raise in 2018. Now on its fourth year, Run & Raise 4 will be held at