Give rice a rest and use your noodles!
Weeknight Red Curry
Ingredients: 1 large shallot; 6 garlic cloves; 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled, cut into pieces; 2 tbsp vegetable oil; 2 tbsp red curry paste; 2 tsp ground turmeric; 1 1/2 c whole peeled tomatoes, plus juices from one 15-ounce can or half of one 28-ounce can; 1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk; kosher salt; 1 lb mixed vegetables (such as cauliflower, carrots and/or shallots), cut into 1-inch pieces; 1 lb firm white fish (such as halibut or cod), skin removed, cut into 2-inch pieces; and cooked rice noodles, cilantro leaves with tender stems and lime wedges (for serving)
Procedure: 1. Pulse shallot, garlic and ginger in a food processor to finely chop. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add shallot mixture and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add curry paste and turmeric; cook, stirring, until paste is darkened in color and mixture starts to stick to pan, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, breaking up with your hands, then juices. Cook, stirring often and scraping up browned bits, until tomatoes start to break down and stick to pot, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in coconut milk and season with salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until mixture is slightly thickened and flavors meld, 8-10 minutes. Add vegetables and pour in enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 8-10 minutes.
3. Season fish all over with salt and nestle into curry (add a little more water if it’s very thick). Return to a simmer and cook just until fish is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
4. Spoon curry over rice noodles and top with cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
Chicken Noodle Bowl
Ingredients: 4 oz uncooked linguine; 2 tsp canola oil, divided; 2 skinless, boneless chicken thighs; 1 c chopped onion; 2 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger, divided; 2 tbsp minced garlic, divided; 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper; 3 1/4 c unsalted chicken stock; 1 3/4 c water; 2 tsp dark sesame oil; 1 1/4 c sliced mushrooms; 1 tbsp lower-sodium soy sauce; 1 tsp sugar; 3/4 c sugar snap peas, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces (about 4 oz); 6 green onions, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces; and 1/2 tsp kosher salt.
Procedure: 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Rinse under cold water; drain.
2. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil; swirl to coat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Let stand 5 minutes. Shred.
3. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil; swirl to coat. Add onion, 1-tablespoon ginger, 1 tablespoon garlic and red pepper; cook 4 minutes. Add stock and 1 3/4 cups water; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Pour stock mixture through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Return stock mixture to pan; keep warm.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium- high heat. Add sesame oil; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms; cook 6 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon ginger and 1 tablespoon garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add mushroom mixture, chicken, soy sauce and sugar to stock mixture; bring to a simmer.
5. Stir in sugar snap peas; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in green onions and salt. Divide pasta evenly among 4 bowls; ladle stock mixture over pasta. (Recipes and photos from www.bonappetit.com; www.myrecipes.com)